Thursday, September 12, 2019

Gotham City Monsters #1 Review

Writer: Steve Orlando
Artist: Amancay Nahuelpan
Rating: 7 of 8

Gotham City Monsters #1
Image result for gotham city monsters
Though I've always loved superheroes, I'm pulled towards horror. Like superheroes, there can be a lot of variation. Even if you're not really into slasher films, you still have psychological horror. If you prefer gorier stories, you've got Saw or 2013's Evil Dead. But one of my favourite kinds is definitely bursting with gothic imagery, centered around monsters.

That's just one of the reasons Gotham City Monsters is a dream come true for me. We get to catch up with a lot of characters we haven't seen in a long time, like Lady Clayface, or the vampiric Andrew Bennett. We don't get as much of Lady Clayface, but what we do get is well done.

Image result for gotham city monsters

Even though I'm not familiar with her, Orlando did well in explaining who she is and her struggle over her identity. I loved the scene introducing Orca, which has great illustrations, coloured and inked brilliantly. The quality of art, colour and inking is maintained throughout the issue and I'm really happy with it. Imagery and visuals are a very important part of horror, so I'm glad Nahuelpan and team really pull them off.

We get a good sense of where she's been and why she's doing what she is now. Some of the most violent scenes we get are with Frankenstein, with him burning a monster alive earlier in the issue and cutting another in half later on.

One of the highlights of GCM is how it ties into other series, like King's Batman, or Bendis' Event Leviathan. What Leviathan's done in that series and Action impact directly on characters like Lady Clayface, Orca and Frankenstein, which I really like. I love when other series add to another. I'd really recommend the issue and I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series. If it becomes an ongoing, I'd not only be delighted, I'd definitely check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adaptations: Knowing What to Change

  Adaptations Knowing What to Change When it comes to adaptations, it can be hard to get the balance right between them being loyal to the s...